Star Wars is a phenomenon of our time. A universe in itself in which, through heroes and villains with deep roots in popular culture, science fiction, fantasy and the most popcorn adventure are manifested and exploded on screen, giving the viewer and the fan some of the most iconic moments of the seventh art. But starting to watch it can be a bit of gibberish. The good news is that here you will find the most complete and practical guide to Star Wars with all the movies and series in chronological order
- 1) Star Wars: The Acolyte
- 2) Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi
- 3) Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
- 4) Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- 5) Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2003-2005)
- 6) Star Wars: The Clone Wars, The Movie
- 7) Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2020)
- 8) Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
- 9) Star Wars: The Bad Remittance
- 10) Han Solo: A Star Wars Story
- 11) Lando: A Star Wars Story
- 12) Obi-Wan Kenobi
- 13) Star Wars Rebels
- 14) Star Wars: Andor
- 15) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- 16) Star Wars: A New Hope
- 17) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
- 18) Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
- 19) Star Wars: The Mandalorian
- 20) The Boba Fett Book
- 21) Star Wars: Ahsoka
- 22) Star Wars: The Resistance
- 23) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- 24) Star Wars: The Last Jeds
- 25) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- 26) Star Wars: Visions
- The future of Star Wars in film and television
At Star we have gathered in one place all the productions for the small and big screen that are part of the Star Wars canon and we have ordered them according to the official timeline, detailing the year in which the movies were released or the number of chapters of each series, as well as their connection with the main saga. The best tool whether you want to do the ultimate Star Wars marathon or just want to locate when a movie or series takes place.
Because the phenomenon of Star Wars is much bigger than the classic trilogy, but the best thing is that there are many different ways to enter its rich universe. In Star we are going to offer you the most complete chronology so that you can choose where and how to immerse yourself in the phenomenon and from which point to start. And it is worth remembering that in Disney Plus, in addition, you will be able to see all the premiered productions but also those that will arrive in the future.
Without further ado, all the Star Wars movies and series in chronological order. From the series in production Star Wars: The Acolyte to the transgressive animation Made in japan of Visions, including, of course, the nine films of the Skywalker saga.
1) Star Wars: The Acolyte
- Series in production. 1 season
The first announced series set in the High Republic era, which takes place hundreds of years before the first movies. Currently, this period is being explored in novels and books, reflecting the golden days of the order of Jedi Knights, the defenders of peace and order in the galaxy.
The Acolyte has been described as a mystery thriller in which we will see the contrast between the light of the Jedi and a shadow that has begun to spread through the galaxy promoted by dark powers and wills. An ideal time for new adventures and an interesting blank page for everything that will happen in the rest of the movies and series.
2) Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi
- Series in production. 1 season of 6 digital animation shorts.
The perfect prelude to the Star Wars universe and, more specifically, to fully address the Skywalker Saga, its central event. Tales of the Jedi is an analogy of six original stories in which we will be shown the past of Qui Gon Jinn, Ahsoka Tano and other notable Jedi who will have a fundamental role during the last days of the Republic Galactic.
3) Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
- Episode I of the Skywalker Saga. Movie.
- Premiere: 1999
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, two Jedi Knights protectors of the Galactic Republic took part in an impending conflict between an ambitious trade federation and a peaceful planet. That undeclared invasion was only the first step towards a larger plan in the shadows, a phantom threat, to take control of all systems.
The fate of the war will be in the hands of the Jedi Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi, but the hope to emerge victorious rests with Anakin Skywalker, a young man found by chance on a planet remote with an extraordinary connection to the cosmic energy known as the Force.
- Criticism in Espinof: Star Wars | ‘The Phantom Menace’, for what?
4) Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode II
- Premiere: 2002
The young Anakin Skywalker has become a skilled and promising Jedi apprentice under the prophecy of being the one who will restore balance to the Force, but a huge conflict arises from his feelings: as a Jedi he is torn between a forbidden love and his responsibilities as protector of the Galaxy.
Responsibilities that, on the other hand, will require his undivided attention: the same phantom menace of the past resurfaces with redoubled energies through a powerful separatist alliance and the order of Jedi Knights is not quickly overcome. The intervention of an army of clone troopers will be decisive in a war across the cosmos about to break out.
- Criticism in Espinof: Star Wars | ‘Attack of the clones’, digital delirium
5) Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2003-2005)
- Microseries. 2 Seasons with 25 episodes.
- Issue: 2003-2005
The Clone Wars have begun. Anakin Skywalker is now a full-fledged Jedi Knight and fights side by side with his master Obi Wan Kenobi. Desperate situations call for desperate measures, and it becomes imperative to command clone troops in a conflict that already spans the galaxy.
6) Star Wars: The Clone Wars, The Movie
- Digital animation film. original story
- Premiere: 2008
The first digitally animated Star Wars film, the seventh film to be released in theaters, and also the prelude to the animated series of the same name. Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the movie plunges us into one of the great conflicts of the Clone Wars while putting young Anakin Skywalker before his first great responsibility: training the reckless and promising Jedi apprentice Ahsoka Tano.
7) Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2020)
- Animation series. 7 Seasons with 133 episodes.
- Issue: 2008-2020
Star Wars: The Clone Wars is one of the biggest Star Wars projects ever made, but its 133 episodes do not disappoint: through its seven seasons we will follow the Clone Wars from the inside with plots that greatly enrich the universe of Star Wars and, at the same time, serve as a bridge between episodes II and III of the Skywalker Saga.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘The Clone Wars’ returns the joy to the fans: the ‘Star Wars’ series says goodbye on Disney + with a great final season
8) Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode III
- Premiere: 2005
The Clone Wars end amidst huge losses and the notable weakening of the Jedi order. A moment that Sheev Palpatine, who was the supreme chancellor of the Republic, takes advantage of to carry out his initiative to turn the Galactic Republic into the first Galactic Empire. His first ruling: eliminate all Jedi alive giving precise instructions to the same clone troopers with whom they fought.
However, the greatest betrayal of the Jedi order does not come from what remains of the senate or the clone armies: fueled by fear, pain and rage, Anakin Skywalker himself swears allegiance to the newly appointed Emperor Palpatine. and faces Obi Wan, who was his teacher. The duel of destinies is inevitable and the future of the entire galaxy is at stake.
- Criticism in Espinof: Star Wars | ‘Revenge of the sith’, welcome darkness
9) Star Wars: The Bad Remittance
- Animation series. 2 Seasons with 16 episodes. (for brand new)
- Issue: 2021
For years, clone troopers have been the main military force in the galaxy. His genetic code, his strict training and the guidance of the Jedi have been decisive for the resistance against the separatist forces.
But when less orthodox methods are required, The Bad Remittance comes into play. Altered but not defective clones that allow them to go their own ways to achieve the impossible. And, since the establishment of the Empire, a serious threat to the Emperor’s plans.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Star Wars: The Bad Remittance’: a great show that engages with the peculiar adventures of the Clone Force 99
10) Han Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Movie. original story
- Premiere: 2018
The Empire has taken control of the galaxy, but the underworld on each planet continues to operate on its own. They have raised Han Solo, a reckless young man who dreams of becoming a pilot in a dark and cruel time. Han has the initiative, fears nothing and is passionate about speed. He now he just needs a fast enough ship.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Han Solo: A Star Wars Story’, a charming adventure with the spirit of the oldest western
11) Lando: A Star Wars Story
- Brand new series. 1 season.
Lando Calrissian is a scoundrel and troublemaker known throughout the galaxy, but you have to admit he’s lucky to get away with it. The series based on the well-known and charismatic Star Wars character was announced in December 2020 and will be set during the time of the Galactic Empire. At the moment, only its premiere on Disney + has been confirmed, without a set release date.
12) Obi-Wan Kenobi
*Original series. 1 Season
* Issue: 2022
After the fall of the Jedi order and the unstoppable rise of the Galactic Empire, the master Obi Wan Kenobi, one of the few surviving Jedi, decided to retire to a remote planet trying to go unnoticed by the inquisitive forces of the Emperor and his arm executor: the tyrant Darth Vader.
Motivated by a sense of duty, a desperate call for help and his remorse, what remains of Master Kenobi will be put back together with the intention of correcting his mistakes. Even if it means sheathing his lightsaber again.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’: an exciting series of ‘Star Wars’ whose visual power is unbalanced by a somewhat accommodated script
13) Star Wars Rebels
- Animation series. 4 Seasons with 75 episodes.
- Issue: 2014-2018
Ezra Bridger, a young orphan from the planet Lothal, has just joined a motley group of adventurers united against the Galactic Empire. Rebels, yes, but with a very definite cause: to bring new hope to oppressed planets. What Ezra doesn’t know is that his actions and accomplishments will eventually spark the creation of the Rebel Alliance.
- Criticism in Espinof: The best Star Wars is animated: ‘Star Wars Rebels’ captures the true spirit of the universe created by George Lucas
14) Star Wars: Andor
- Brand new series. 2 seasons with 24 confirmed episodes.
The Rebel Alliance has decided to take action. After serving the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars, Cassian Andor takes part in a complex plot that blends the sprawling Star Wars universe with themes of espionage thrillers set in the darkest days of the Galactic Empire.
15) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Movie. original story
- Premiere: 2016
The Galactic Empire is developing the ultimate weapon to perpetuate its power: the Death Star, a moon-sized space battle station with the ability to destroy entire planets. Faced with this desperate situation, a group of rebels and adventurers decide to take action before it’s too late.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’, inert fan fiction
16) Star Wars: A New Hope
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode IV
- Premiere: 1977
Two droids pursued by the Galactic Empire appear on a remote planet. Hidden in its circuitry, information on which the future of the entire galaxy depends: the plans for the Death Star. Darth Vader is determined to get them back at all costs, but against all odds, both the droids and the plans end up in the hands of a young farmer: Luke Skywalker.
The young man and the droids set off in search of an honorable Jedi Master and veteran of the Clone Wars who can lead them to the Rebel Alliance base. Along the way they must escape escorted by the renegade smuggler Han Solo, free Leia, a reckless princess, and even launch a desperate attack on the empire itself.
And between journeys across the galaxy, a huge reveal: Luke Skywalker belongs to a Jedi lineage with a deep connection to the Force, a cosmic energy that flows through the universe.
- Criticism in Espinof: Star Wars | ‘A new hope’, origin of a myth
17) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode V
- Premiere: 1980
The Rebel Alliance has managed to defeat the Galactic Empire against all odds, but neither Darth Vader nor the Emperor have been defeated: their military forces scour every planetary system to find the rebels and eradicate the threat once and for all.
Meanwhile, on a remote and largely uninhabited planet, Luke Skywalker has decided to complete his training as a Jedi Knight by wielding his father’s lightsaber. The universe is once again in need of the intervention of a Jedi protector, and Luke is fully aware that his connection to the force will ultimately make the difference in the inevitable battle for the galaxy.
- Review: Star Wars | ‘The empire strikes back’, P.E.R.F.E.C.T.A
18) Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode VI
- Premiere: 1983
Luke is already a mighty Jedi Knight and the Empire is finalizing the construction of a second Death Star. The fate of the entire Galaxy will be decided in three unique scenarios: in an intense battle in space, in the forest area of a huge moon and in the bowels of the space station itself.
The entire Rebel Alliance has gathered to launch the final attack against the Empire. A desperate assault in which the entire fate of the Galaxy hangs in the balance. And yet, both Darth Vader and the Emperor himself are counting on it.
- Criticism in Espinof: Star Wars | ‘The return of the jedi’, an end to a beginning
19) Star Wars: The Mandalorian
*Original series. 3 Seasons, 18 episodes aired so far.
* Issue: since 2018
The recent fall of the Empire has had a huge impact that has been unevenly felt in the underworld of the Galaxy and its most remote corners. In fact, the instability has made the activities of unscrupulous bounty hunters more risky and interesting.
One of these bounty hunters has something more or less resembling a moral code. He goes by the pseudonym the Mandalorian and has just been given a particularly unusual assignment: deliver a child of a strange alien species to former agents of the Empire. What’s so special about that creature?
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘The Mandalorian’ bets on the biggest and best in a fantastic season 2 that betrays its essence in the last minutes
20) The Boba Fett Book
*Original series. 1 Season
* Issue: 2021
Boba Fett has been one of the most feared bounty hunters in the entire galaxy. At least, until he was left for dead. After a long agony in the desert of a planet far from the law, Fett resurfaces, starting a cycle of redemption, undertaking new plans that go through becoming a respected lord of organized crime. Which means crushing and subduing whoever tries to kill him.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘The book of Boba Fett’: the eternal return of the Jedi to save the lack of ideas in ‘Star Wars’
21) Star Wars: Ahsoka
- Brand new series. 1 season
Announced in December 2020, Star Wars: Ahsoka tells the story of Anakin Skywalker’s former apprentice in the days after the fall of the empire. The number of chapters and other details related to its plot are unknown, but it will unify and continue the chronology of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars: Rebels and The Mandalorian.
In Espinof: ‘Ahsoka’: everything we know about the Star Wars series for Disney + with Rosario Dawson
22) Star Wars: The Resistance
- Animated series. 2 Seasons with 40 episodes.
- Issue: 2018-2019
Kazuda Kaz Xiono is a skilled pilot in the service of the New Republic established after the final fall of the Empire. Directly commissioned by General Leia, who took part in the Emperor’s defeat, Kaz will investigate the mysterious rise of a military movement known as The First Order whose purposes seem to be aligned with the same phantom threat that frightened the entire galaxy.
23) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode VII
- Premiere: 2015
The military regime known as The First Order has taken the initiative and strikes head-on against the New Republic: the colossal space base Starkiller makes its way between worlds under the threat of annihilating entire planets while a new cult makes its way. Meanwhile, the veteran rebels who managed to stop the empire years ago are asking the same question Where is Luke Skywalker?
In the absence of the Jedi Master, the hope of the galaxy rests on Rey, a young scrapper who lives day to day on a remote planet. As fate would have it, the robot that contains the information on Skywalker’s whereabouts ends up in her care. The future of the universe will depend on that valuable information getting into the hands of the First Order Resistance.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’, impressive new beginning
24) Star Wars: The Last Jeds
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode VII
- Premiere: 2017
Rey has managed to find the whereabouts of Luke Skywalker and goes in search of him, however the powerful Jedi seems to have reasons to stay away and hidden. And yet, even Skywalker himself is amazed at her enormous potential and connection to the Force.
Meanwhile, the First Order puts the high command of the Resistance on the ropes. General Leia desperately stalls for time, but is fully aware that they won’t last long without help.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ is a disappointment, a step back from ‘The Force Awakens’
25) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Movie. Skywalker Saga Episode IX
- Premiere: 2019
A mysterious transmission has spread, instilling terror throughout the systems of the galaxy: Emperor Palpatine managed to survive the explosion of the second Death Star and his return seems to be imminent. Faced with this threat, both the Rebellion and the New Order begin their own quest to find the source of the signal and discover the dark reality behind it.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Star Wars: The rise of Skywalker’: J.J. Abrams closes the saga with an imperfect patch for non-existent problems
26) Star Wars: Visions
- Anime. Short stories. 2 Seasons
- Issue: From 2021
Released in September 2021, Star Wars Visions is an anthology of short stories, not directly related to each other or to the events of the Skywalker Saga, and distinguished by their very marked Japanese style.
Nine short stories of a few minutes that combine the aesthetics of anime, the Japanese tradition and the enormous universe of adventures, fantasy and science fiction of Star Wars, plus a second batch of episodes announced and that will arrive in the future.
- Criticism in Espinof: ‘Star Wars: Visions’ is fascinating: the Disney + anime anthology is the breath of fresh air that the universe created by George Lucas needed
The future of Star Wars in film and television
While we’ve covered everything scheduled and established in the Star Wars timeline in our comprehensive review, there’s still a generous batch of movies, series, and animation projects announced and yet to fit into the timeline.
Some are productions dedicated to the smallest of the house and others are new big budget movies and even a new trilogy. Among the presented and already confirmed we have:
- Star Wars A Droid Story, based on the adventures of the Star Wars droids
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron, a film focused on the exciting space battles of the saga
- Star Wars: Skeleton Crew, with Jude Law leading the cast. We know it will take place after Return of the Jedi.
- A film directed by Taika Waititi
- A film produced by Kevin Feige
- An untitled film to be released in 2025
- An untitled film to be released in 2027
- And, finally, a new untitled trilogy for which no details are available.
Along with all of the above, we cannot forget minor stories within the chronology and collected in the animated series Star Wars: Forces of Destiny and Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures, as well as numerous canceled projects, among which remember Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic.
In any case, we are looking forward to updating our guide with new content and news about all the announced projects.